Updated: May 5, 2020
COVID-19 is beginning to cause unprecedented disruption in American life, after upending daily routines and threatening public health in many other countries. There is much uncertainty about what the next couple of weeks may hold on a day-to-day basis, and anxiety is on the rise not just for those who are prone to anxious thinking already, but even for individuals for whom it is not usually a problem. Here are some things to consider as we ride this out together.
1. Be mindful of your sleep and exercise.
2. Use tools to calm your body.
3. Set limits on media, and choose only reliable sources.
4. Find social support even when social distancing.
5. Don't let your catastrophic thoughts seep in as truth.
6. Keep the familiar and the predictable in place where you can.
7. Look for beauty and embrace gratitude when possible.